So this is the last of the posts on America, for at least another 40 days. Because its my last week before I take off for home, and my month off work. I’m on a bud from Boston to New York. I was going to be alone in the city this weekend and felt the urge to venture out. I loathe getting on a plane, especially these short haul uninteresting flights. I wanted a few hours of journey and decided I’ll try the bus on my way there, and the train for the way back. So far the bus is fun, though I fear it will turn out to be much longer than expected and I’ll end up regretting.
I see a young girl at a distance reading Anna Karenina, and it only reminds me of how just a few years back, I wouldn't think of traveling by air. The American countryside is at best pretty. I don't find it as interesting as the European one or better still, the Indian one!! But it is pretty!
I’m tired. I’ve been traveling a lot. Some things haven’t changed. I still travel casually. I still enjoy it. But its been a lot of late. I can still enjoy it but I’m definitely tiring. At the same time, I’l insanely excited about the honeymoon. Its fun travel. Let me tell you a few more plans while I’m at it.
• We’re backpacking. No suitcases! Its huge for me because its been a long time I survived on a few sets of clothes
• Its 22 days, in 4 countries
• Its in South East Asia- where my heart lies. I’ve enjoyed America and Europe, but at heart, I’m a thinly clad water bunny. I keep wanting to go back there. Its definitely more convenient but more than that, its just so real
• I’m not taking my laptop and I’m not leaving a cell phone number behind
• I plan to spend that time reading, writing, loving, running, river dipping, sunning. I don't plan to sleep much. Despite the fatigue, sleep still doesn't seem important.
• One of our stops is exceptionally close to my heart: I visited for 2 days 5 years back. We’re also staying at a place which a few years back, was called the most beautiful resort in the world by a luxury travel magazine. Of course I haven’t spent a bomb on it!
So I also bought the Lonely planet guide to New York. I’m going to be a tourist. In my several trips to the city, I haven’t yet been a tourist. No plans to do lady liberty and Times Square- not that kind of tourist. But I think I’ll spend a day at the MoMA. I’m increasingly interested to understand the inspiration behind the immense art that exists out there.
Its strange who we evolve over the years. A few years back I picked up writing, with this blog. Now I’m gravitating towards Art. A few years back I loved planes, and travel and all that. Today, I travel to make myself happy and not to pin flags in each city I step on. So all those pretentious honeymoon suggestions- Latin America, New Zealand, no, thank you very much! I’d love to visit but not now. These places will draw me themselves, if they are meant to. Why the change? I think it has something to do with being married to a man of substance. I’m embarrassed of being anyone else now….just me….free, dazzling and so eff-ing imperfect.
The music is, really, Witchy Woman!