Friday, July 15, 2011

For the love of the blog

So this is the last of the posts on America, for at least another 40 days. Because its my last week before I take off for home, and my month off work. I’m on a bud from Boston to New York. I was going to be alone in the city this weekend and felt the urge to venture out. I loathe getting on a plane, especially these short haul uninteresting flights. I wanted a few hours of journey and decided I’ll try the bus on my way there, and the train for the way back. So far the bus is fun, though I fear it will turn out to be much longer than expected and I’ll end up regretting.

I see a young girl at a distance reading Anna Karenina, and it only reminds me of how just a few years back, I wouldn't think of traveling by air. The American countryside is at best pretty. I don't find it as interesting as the European one or better still, the Indian one!! But it is pretty!

I’m tired. I’ve been traveling a lot. Some things haven’t changed. I still travel casually. I still enjoy it. But its been a lot of late. I can still enjoy it but I’m definitely tiring. At the same time, I’l insanely excited about the honeymoon. Its fun travel. Let me tell you a few more plans while I’m at it.

• We’re backpacking. No suitcases! Its huge for me because its been a long time I survived on a few sets of clothes
• Its 22 days, in 4 countries
• Its in South East Asia- where my heart lies. I’ve enjoyed America and Europe, but at heart, I’m a thinly clad water bunny. I keep wanting to go back there. Its definitely more convenient but more than that, its just so real
• I’m not taking my laptop and I’m not leaving a cell phone number behind
• I plan to spend that time reading, writing, loving, running, river dipping, sunning. I don't plan to sleep much. Despite the fatigue, sleep still doesn't seem important.
• One of our stops is exceptionally close to my heart: I visited for 2 days 5 years back. We’re also staying at a place which a few years back, was called the most beautiful resort in the world by a luxury travel magazine. Of course I haven’t spent a bomb on it!
• *tw*

So I also bought the Lonely planet guide to New York. I’m going to be a tourist. In my several trips to the city, I haven’t yet been a tourist. No plans to do lady liberty and Times Square- not that kind of tourist. But I think I’ll spend a day at the MoMA. I’m increasingly interested to understand the inspiration behind the immense art that exists out there.

Its strange who we evolve over the years. A few years back I picked up writing, with this blog. Now I’m gravitating towards Art. A few years back I loved planes, and travel and all that. Today, I travel to make myself happy and not to pin flags in each city I step on. So all those pretentious honeymoon suggestions- Latin America, New Zealand, no, thank you very much! I’d love to visit but not now. These places will draw me themselves, if they are meant to. Why the change? I think it has something to do with being married to a man of substance. I’m embarrassed of being anyone else now….just me….free, dazzling and so eff-ing imperfect.

The music is, really, Witchy Woman!

1 comment:

geetlee said...

Have a great honeymoon!
Bring back some beautiful memories to share here :)