Monday, March 1, 2010

Three big changes

Hello! Its Holi and I'm not celebrating. I don't mind celebrating once in a while but these days I really don't have many friends around who I'd enjoy playing with. Glass half full: I got my whole Monday to myself, with lots of chatting with mum and Dad, good food, plenty of zzzzz, and now 2 sets of work-outs in front of me.


So I decided to write because I'm experiencing a strange sense of pride. Now I'm not always larger than life and do have some small, cheap thrills too. Today, this relates to recent ka-chings. I have, recently, been excess-ing the shopping behaviour without even realizing the extent of the excess. I reached a point where my credit card bill for January reached over many lakhs, of which a large part was expensible but the rest was just my disposable income being handed over to evil hands like Bebe, Express and Nordstrom. I realized this 7 days back and decided to cut back on all expenses significantly, including indulgences beyond clothes and shoes. I'm happy I haven't used my credit card once since last monday and I don't intend to either. While saving money is the most obvious consequence, here are some other unintended benefits (and fallouts):

* Got a lot more sleep as all those afternoons I spend in shopping centers were saved
* Read a lot more, including Willian Dalrymple's Nine Lives
* Snooped around many many people of Facebook (hence, the use of the word fallouts)
* Re-visited the joys of Priya Cinema. This was not as straight forward. Mum wanted to watch KCK. We usually watch movies at Select City Walk or Ambience. This time, I had to avoud all temptations and hence, booked tickets at Priya.
* Exercised my brain a lot more- Peepu's in Miami and I need to think of things he can do on his free day, which don't involve shopping for me

1 week good going, lets see how this turns out.

The second big change in life has been straightening my eating habits. Now if you know me closely you'll know how I' ve tried every dieting tip and trick that exists. I'm not even close to fat, but of course, I have some excess all around. I'm maniacal about exercise but that's not enough and I do try to accelerate all efforts by introducing nasty diet regimes in between. Except that, after my stay at Ananda, I stopped it. I eat in the morning, have fewer cups of coffee during the day, have a filling lunch and ease out towards the end of the day. I haven't bothered checking the weighing scale but I can feel a lot more energy. Hopefully, this will go good too!

Finally, there's one more change which I'm shhhh about. It'll be final on Wednesday, after which I'll post it here but until then wait.

By the way, I didn't like Karthik Calling Karthik a bit. I was hoping for a colourful, fun and games sort of movie, and not another one about schizophrenics. Both issues close to my heart, but we need a halt to movies on schizophrenia and treatment of muslims in post-9/11 America and other such done to death issues

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good!

I disliked KCK too and same feedback from me on Road, movie too. Pointless really.